If you travel by car a lot and you want to bring your baby along for the ride, it is important that you install a car seat that is appropriate for them. You can typically buy this from online baby stores.
Now, you might think that it is easy to purchase one of these things, but to actually buy one that will be the right fit for your baby is actually harder than it seems.
Purchasing and installing a baby car seat can feel pretty much the same as fitting your car for a trip to the moon. There are belts and buckles to secure, there are latches to anchor the seat onto, and there are also weight limits that you have to take into account as well.
I know, most parents do not have the patience for this kind of thing. But, it is important that you do this because this will ensure the safety of your baby when you travel with them using your automobile.
That being said, how do you choose the right one for your baby so that you can keep them safe inside the car? Read on to find out some important tips.
How to Choose the Right Car Seat?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, baby car seats are essential for your infants because it can help save their lives in the event that you experience car crashes or any untoward incidents. In fact, according to the survey by the CDC, the risk of your baby dying in case of an accident is cut by 71% if they are secured in a baby car seat.
That is why it is crucial that you buy and install one for your infant, especially if you are going to be on long trips using your car.
Well, even though the process of choosing one that is right for your baby is a bit harder than it seems, there are three important considerations:
- Your baby’s height and weight
- Your baby’s age
- And if the car seat meets all of the safety standards
Here is a brief guide that was given by the CDC to help you choose the seat based on the criteria mentioned above:
- Newborn to 2– It is best that you get a rear-facing car seat. Take into account the weight of your baby in that the seat should be able to hold their weight
- 2-4– At this time, you want to use a forward-facing seat if your baby is no more than 40 pounds
- 4-8– At this stage, you’re going to want to use a belt-positioning booster seat. Also, it is best that your baby be situated at the backseat
- 8 Years Old and Above– If your child gets secured just by using the seat belt that is already in your car, then you no longer need a booster seat. Otherwise, you should always use a booster seat to secure them properly.
How to Evaluate Car Seat Quality?
There are important features that you need to take into consideration whenever you purchase a car seat for your baby. They are:
- Safety Label– The seat should meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213
- Ratings– See to it that the seat you fancy is rated 5 stars by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- New– The car seat should be new to ensure quality and safety